Advice #3: LEARN EVERYTHING!
“The ingredients of leadership cannot be taught, however. They must be learned.”—Warren Bennis
In order to be prepared, we must be over-prepared. How do we become over-prepared? LEARN EVERYTHING. First let’s clarify what type of learning I am talking about here. As leadership expert, Warren Bennis claims, we must replace maintenance and shock learning with innovative learning. The difference between the two are simply; maintenance and shock learning occurs when you are the reactor. While innovative learning has components such as anticipation, learning by listening, and participation. It is important to be the actor not the reactor. As a new supervisor entering a brand new company, you must anticipate and shape the events that are going to occur in the future.
Easier said than done right?
Here is a simple guide to help anticipate and plan for the future:
- Reflect and learn from past experiences
- We can learn a lot from our experiences; however, we often do not take the time to reflect and learn.
- We all say, there just isn’t enough time in the day. However, it takes a minimum of 10-15 minutes to reflect on the day. This is a great tool to use to learn from your accomplishments and failures.
- Travel, travel, travel
- Traveling is a great way to learn about diverse cultures, different perspectives, business processes, and globalization.
- While traveling, it is important to submerge yourself into the culture. Experience everything that the natives do to fully learn. Leadership expert, Warren Bennis states, “The stranger in a strange land sees more and sees fresh.”
- Seek out mentors and friends
- You need someone that inspires you to be the best you. You want someone to push you to continue to learn and bring you to your fullest potential.
- It is also important, to learn from others that have gone through similar experiences. They can help guide and inspire you to go in the right direction.
- READ, READ, READ
- Continuous learning is crucial to becoming a successful leader. Read as many books as you can.
- If reading is something you don’t enjoy, learn ways to love to learn. Some alternatives to reading are audio books and podcasts.
There is so much to learn that is crucial to your success to never stop learning!